'80s and '90s musical discourse.

Friday, December 22, 2006

i want candy

I frequently do radio interviews to promote my books. It usually requires me calling in to a morning show in Missouri or Oregon or Iowa and chatting with perpetually smiling radio personalities. Nobody tells me in advance what questions they're going to ask or what to expect. DJs vary from thinking my book is the best thing since James Joyce to treating me in a hostile manner because I'm from NYC and my voice is a bit effeminate.

I love doing interviews. I could be in the most heinous mood - no coffee, no sleep, hating life - but as soon as I'm on the air I'm happier than the host of an informercial.


This morning I called in to "The Goose and Romi Show", somewhere on the West Coast. I stayed on hold while three women were competing for a Playstation 3 thingy, whatever contraption people are clawing each other's eyes out for this Christmas.

The contest? Whoever sucked the red off a candy cane first, won. I'm sitting in my office listening to the DJs take stabs at inappropriate innuendo and all I could think was, "If there's any contest I could win, this is the one. Why am I not there?"

By the time they got to my interview, I was so distracted that I couldn't remember my name.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

I wrote two books: Don't Dream It's Over: The '80s Music Party Game and Things That Make You Go Hmmm: The '90s Music Party Game (out in October).