'80s and '90s musical discourse.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Used To Love H.E.R.

How many times have you heard someone say (or you've read it on their online profile), "I like everything except rap and country". Sometimes they they make an exception for Outkast or something.

That shit makes me upset.

Common's first hit (under the name Common Sense) could change their minds if they had the mind to listen. It's an allegory, comparing a relationship with a woman to a relationship with hip hop. It's prose for the masses.



Somewhat related -- have you seen Dave Chapelle's Block Party? I haven't seen many films in recent years because I...umm... I've been doing something or other. But I think DCBP is my favorite movie since..ummm...since something or other. I want the DVD for Christmas.

This is a long clip, but maybe you're on the toilet with your laptop and you need to kill some time. It makes me happy. Mos Def is some beautiful. And so is the trumpet player.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

I wrote two books: Don't Dream It's Over: The '80s Music Party Game and Things That Make You Go Hmmm: The '90s Music Party Game (out in October).