'80s and '90s musical discourse.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

stars in his eyes

Even though I'm going line dancing instead of watching the Survivor premiere tonight, I started reading the contestant profiles on cbs.com because I need a constant stream of distractions. The first one I read was Billy, who says "...when he was 15, he heard the song "Juke Box Hero" on the radio and began to entertain the idea of becoming a rock and roll musician."

"Jukebox Hero"!! Most people in hindsight change their inspiration song to Zeppelin or Elvis Costello or something politically musically correct. But it's the cheesy AOR hits that influence kids to buy a guitar. So now I have to root for him. That song still makes me pump my fist in the air. He better not turn out to be an asshole.

1 comment:

Leah McCombe said...

Can you give me recommendations for where to go line dancing on a Saturday night in Manhattan or Brooklyn?

Followers

About Me

I wrote two books: Don't Dream It's Over: The '80s Music Party Game and Things That Make You Go Hmmm: The '90s Music Party Game (out in October).